Monday 29 July 2013

Disappointing Products | Makeup


The suspects...


*Taking cover from die hard Apocalips lovers* I kid of course, as obviously different products suit and agree with different people, and where would we be without variety in the world? I thought I'd round up some of the makeup items I've purchased over the past few months that have unfortunately failed to impress for various reasons. I'm quite fussy with texture and colour, and so I'm sure some readers will absolutely love some of the products featured, but alas what suits some of us might not suit others and vice versa. 


MUA Undress Me Too eyeshadow palette £4

Generally I'm a huge fan of MUA palettes and I was so excited to give this one a go as I'm a sucker for neutrals and this collection looked promising. Unfortunately, having experimented with it a fair few times I've decided it just isn't for me. There seems to be quite strong silver/pale blue undertones to a lot of the shades in the palette which doesn't appeal to me and unfortunately some of the shades look a little bit odd with my complexion. I've also found that unlike other MUA shadows these ones don't seem as pigmented and I need to apply quite a few layers to achieve a strong amount of colour. Ah well, you win some, you lose some. 

Seventeen Brow Scultping Pencil 'Natural Brown' £2.89 & Eye Kohl Soft Smudge Pencil 'Mocha' £2.89

Oh man, was I disappointed in these pencils. I only bought them as emergency items when staying at my fiance's sans makeup bag one weekend, but I figured as Seventeen have lots of great quality products these would be OK to use. I was wrong. Firstly, the eyebrow pencil. I found this has a very stiff, dry consistency making it difficult to use, and it also has an ashy finish which is off putting. The colour looked extremely strange on my brows, with very strong grey tones and I hated it as soon as I put it on. It was near impossible to blend properly and it dragged and tugged like crazy. Not a fan. As for the eye liner, as soon as I opened this the tip fell clean off which immediately irritated me. What if I couldn't find a sharpener?! It does an alright job of lining the upper lid but it's also quite stiff and therefore drags along the eyelid. Not impressed at all. 

Maybelline Mega Plush Volum' Express Mascara £7.99

This mascara seems to divide opinion and I'm firmly in the 'I hate it' camp. I found the 'flexor-brush' to be a complete gimmick and a nuisance when applying to my lashes. The idea is that it 'flexes' and bends as you apply, to help you grip the lashes, but I found it did the opposite and made it extremely difficult to get a good grip. The formula was lumpy and flaked like crazy throughout the day, and it failed to really define or do anything that noticeable to my lashes. It smells good though. So that's a plus. I guess. 

Bourjois Cream Blush '01' £7.99

I love cream blush so I was looking forward to trying out this little peach pot from Bourjois. It does seem like a very small pot for £7.99 but I thought I'd give it a go anyhow, especially considering the rather impressive stats given on the Bourjois website. 100% of 33 users found it 'very easy to blend', apparently. Well I must have freaky cheeks because I find the texture quite dry and not as creamy as I'd like, making it quite difficult to blend over foundation without sort of rubbing my foundation off in the process. While I quite like the peachy colour I do find it quite pale and in hindsight I think I prefer a slightly darker peach coral. So, a combination of the wrong colour choice and the wrong formula for me *sad face*


Rimmel BB Cream £6.99 & Match Perfection SPF15 Cream Compact £7.49

Two very simple reasons for disliking these. Rimmel BB Cream turned me into an absolute grease ball half an hour after applying, and I suffered a nasty allergic reaction to the Match Perfection Cream Compact. I actually really liked the texture of the Cream Compact but soon after using it I developed a horrible red rash all over my face that took days to calm down. I found that the BB Cream didn't deliver good coverage and it smells like old sun cream which I don't find all that appealing. I favour a base that keeps me relatively matte, so this isn't the one for me. I am, however, a big fan of Rimmel's Match Perfection liquid foundation which doesn't bring me out in a rash, thankfully. 

Maybelline Cover Stick £4.09

This was another emergency purchase and unfortunately it wasn't the wisest one. I really like Maybelline foundations so figured I'd like this stick concealer, yet it has a bizarre waxy consistency and it has a really greasy finish. It also has a very strong plastic soap smell which lingers after applying. While the coverage is decent it just doesn't feel comfortable and it doesn't have a matte finish, which is crucial for my shine prone skin. 

MAC Studio Finish Concealer £15

'Surely not?!', I hear you cry! There's no denying that the coverage this little pot delivers is superb, as is the initial consistency. I find it perfect for covering dark circles but it's when applied to blemishes that it all starts to go wrong for me. I've noticed that after a few hours the formula begins to break down, separating and leaving a strange film on my skin. If it happens to get wet at all it turns into a gooey texture which isn't very appealing! It also looks very shiny after a few hours and when touched up with powder it turns into a bit of a clumpy mess. While this pot has lasted me well over six months and while it's great for covering dark circles, I won't be repurchasing after it eventually runs out. Back to Benefit Boi-ing for me!


Bottom to top: Bourjois 'Peach on the Beach', Rimmel Apocalips 'Celestial' and 'Stellar'

               Bourjois Color Boost Glossy Finish Lipstick 'Peach on the Beach' £7.99

At first glance and at first swatch I loved 'Peach on the Beach' but I just can't get on board with the texture and finish once applied. It looks like a lovely juicy peach colour in the tube but I've found it too orange on my lips, which sounds silly but it just looks a bit odd with my fair complexion. Plus it really seems to cling to any dry bits and emphasises every crease on my lips which I don't like. I thought I'd love this but alas, once again, it just isn't meant to be. 

Rimmel Apocalips Lip Lacquer 'Celestial' & 'Stellar' £5.99 each

It's not so much a colour issue I've got with Apocalips, it's an application and finish issue. I love the idea of the rich, opaque, glossy lacquer and the colour range is really impressive, but I find it difficult to apply these neatly without colour bleeding like crazy beyond my lip line. I find myself constantly checking my lips when I'm out and about for colour control purposes, as I find that these smudge quite easily and never really feel that 'secure'. I've also found that colour constantly gets on to my teeth somehow which makes me feel very self-conscious! I'm constantly licking my teeth which makes me look strange and I worry about smiling properly in case my teeth are smeared with lipgloss. I really, really want to love these as I do like the colours and they have a unique texture but I'm just too nervous to wear them! The smell is also a bit of an issue as they have a very artificial sweet scent that is a little cloying. I'm still tempted to give some more shades a go but I'm worried I'll just end up with lipgloss covered teeth all the time! Waah. 

Have you tried any of the above? What are your thoughts? Let me know what you think!

25 comments :

  1. I love the MUA palette but I use some colours way more than others x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like some of the colours, such as the the two on the far left top and bottom but I'm not so keen on the darker colours. I've got some other MUA palettes that I'm obsessed with though!xx

      Delete
  2. I just bought my first Apocalips today.... I hope I like it! I've wanted it ages!

    Zofia x
    (http://littlemisspradaxo.blogspot.co.uk)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let me put you off! They are very popular :) xx

      Delete
  3. I really didn't like the Apocalips I tried either! Such a shame because as you say, they're lovely shades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, such gorgeous colours available :( xx

      Delete
  4. I felt the same about the Bourjois Cream Blush - not very creamy at all!
    I love reading posts like this, it makes me remember that not everything works for everyone and makes me feel a little less of a crazy person for not liking something others hype!
    Katie xxx
    (curledfantasies.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true that products work well for some and not for others! There's no shame in admitting if something popular hasn't worked for you, it happens to all of us and I like reading lots of different opinions. Post away!xx

      Delete
  5. I love the Bourjois Cream Blush but do agree its not overly creamy, this works for me though. I agree about Peach on the Beach though, didn't live up to my expectations :(

    I've nominated you for a Liebster Award over on my blog :)

    Love Em xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun, I'll head over and check it out :) I prefer a creamier blush but I can see how some might prefer more of a powder finish xx

      Delete
  6. That's a shame. Those lip products looks so pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure lots of people like using them, I'm just fussy! Haha xx

      Delete
  7. Wow. I was not expecting these products! It was a lovely post and I agree with you about the Maybelline mascara. I liked it at first but then the flexible wand just started to get downright annoying. xx

    Daphne | Peanut Butter and Chocolate Life | bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the wand so irritating! I like to get a good grip and it just kept bending all over the place, bah :( Glad you enjoyed reading!xx

      Delete
  8. You need to use a lipliner with the Apocolips - I recommend Naked from MAC, I use it underneath all my Apocolips and it doesnt bleed at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thanks, I'm going to try this! I've got a nude liner so will give it a go, excited to see it if makes a difference for me and my teeth! xx

      Delete
  9. Really good review. I really want to try the Apocolips one day, but I have heard that you need a lip liner. So sad to hear about all the other disappointing products, however what didn't suit you may be good for someone else and vice versa :)

    *following*

    xx

    www.forevermissvanity.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's absolutely true, I'm sure there are products I love that others aren't so keen on, all part of the fun of trying out different beauty products :) Glad you enjoyed reading!xx

      Delete
  10. This is very useful because some bloggers are afraid to say the negatives (I think).
    Adela x

    Misspinkstyle.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little nervous of posting negative reviews at first, and generally I enjoy writing positive ones more but I felt I should reveal what bits and bobs haven't worked for me to give an alternative perspective xx

      Delete
  11. Interesting to read that the apocalips bleed!most people rave about them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did wonder if it's just that my lips are weird or something! I'm going to give them another go using a lipliner first as recommended above, fingers crossed!xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing, love to hear about these sort of things so I know what not to buy haha! Have to say, I did expect the Rimmel Powder to be on here, it never really appeals to me in shops haha!♥

    Caitlin ♥

    http://caitlinaaa.blogspot.co.uk ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhhh I hate it when lippie gets on your teeth, isn't it the worst thing ever!!!! Xxx

    Stacey
    Expatmake-upaddict.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by! I read and reply to every comment and would love to hear what you think x